The Waterloo Police Department is comprised of 125 sworn police officers and 10 civilian employees. We serve a community of approximately 70,000. We provide competitive salary and benefits; top quality equipment; comprehensive training; and opportunities for positions in Patrol, Investigations, Crime Lab, Canine, and Traffic; and extra duty assignments as a Field Training Officer, Crime Scene Investigator, Tactical Unit Member, Crisis Negotiator, Bomb Technician, Bicycle Officer and Mounted Officer.
We are proud of the diversity of our work force and our continuing efforts to mirror the community.
Police Recruit Video
- A U.S. citizen and be willing to comply with the City's residency policy; live within 10 miles of the Department Headquarters.
- At least 18 years of age by the application deadline.
- Able to read, write, and understand the English language.
- High school graduate/G.E.D. by application deadline.
- 20/100 vision in both eyes correctable to 20/20; normal color vision.
- Normal hearing.
- No alcohol or drug dependency.
- Current valid driver's license and satisfactory driving record.
- No felony convictions.
- Legally able to possess firearms.
- Not, by any reason of conscience or belief, be opposed to the use of force when necessary.
- To view the State of Iowa minimum police officer qualifications, including physical fitness standards visit the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy.
How to apply: **The Waterloo Police Department is Not Taking Applications at this time**
During advertised periods of application, all qualified candidates must submit online a resume and cover letter with driver license number and social security number which is needed to determine status for written exam. Resume will not be processed without these numbers.
We will not process the resume of any candiate who, during the previous five years, has not passed a polygraph test, drug test, or psychological examination with the Waterloo Police Department.
Applicants who meet the basic qualifications are selected on a competitive basis. Each applicant must successfully complete the following:
- Written examinations
- Oral board interview
- Psychological evaluation
- Comprehensive medical examination and drug screen
- Background investigation
- Polygraph examination
- Physical fitness testing
Questions should be directed to:
Waterloo Police Dept.
715 Mulberry Street
Waterloo, IA 50703
Minority and female individuals are encouraged to apply.
Additional Employment Opportunities with the City of Waterloo can also be found at www.cityofwaterlooiowa.com